Earth Day is coming up on April 22nd. Remembering this observance is a good opportunity to both celebrate progress in green building and sustainable design and to recognize the growing need for green homes.
If you’re planning to view some homes this spring, you may find one that fits your requirements but isn’t energy efficient. For example, it may have an older HVAC system that won’t keep your home comfortable without running up massive bills. Or it doesn’t have sufficient insulation.
You may not have to walk away from the property. Instead, you may qualify for a mortgage that will help you transform it into an energy-efficient home. The GreenCHOICE and HomeStyle Energy mortgages are possible options, as are VA and FHA Energy-Efficient Mortgages.
Here are some typical green improvements to consider:
- Heating, ventilation and cooling systems with smart thermostats.
- Energy-efficient windows and doors.
- Low-flow toilets and showers.
- Increased home insulation and weatherization.
- Energy-saving appliances.
- Renewable energy systems, including solar, wind-powered and geothermal systems.
- Grow a garden and use compost to nourish plants.
If our homes allowed us to passively improve our environment just by living in them, we can nurture the mindset that making the right decision can have profound impacts on the future of our planet.